Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What to do when we feel wounded




How many times have we been offended or hurt at our church?

I’m sure each of us has experienced hurt or disappointment in others. What do we do during these times? Do we withdraw from others or do we run to God and his word for the answer?
I find peace in searching the scriptures and asking for direction from God.
God’s word reassures me that we are all IMPERFECT PEOPLE and that our early Brothers in Christ weren’t perfect either and boy does that help when I’m struggling with
every day life…..  The scripture below is a good example of Peter walking in his own flesh and not walking and trusting in what Jesus was teaching:
Paul Opposes Peter
11But(U) when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him(V) to his face, because he stood condemned. 12For before certain men came from James,(W) he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing(X) the circumcision party. 13And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. 14But when I saw that their(Y) conduct was not in step with(Z) the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas(AA) before them all, "If you, though a Jew,(AB) live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?"

Did this cause the Lord not to love Peter or refuse to use him any longer? NO…..
God responds with mercy and forgiveness just as we should respond that same way.
The danger that I do see in this scripture though is that the sin of Peter even caused
Barnabas to be led astray?

What do we do then?
Ask God to help us feel concern for someone who wounds or disappoints us. Then pray for him or her. Prayer can change things! I know that at times I can become prideful and start trying to pick the specks from my Brothers eye and not see the log hanging out of my own. It is my prayer today that God direct each of us and grants us wisdom and understanding to his ways and not our own!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, amen, amen! Ask God to help us feel concern for someone who wounds or disappoints us in this life. Walking in forgiveness. Amen! And, yes, prayer do change things. My prayer too, "God direct each of us and grants us wisdom and understanding to His ways and not our own!" AMEN!!! Thanks Holly for sharing.

    ReplyDelete